Time to escape?
The past 18 months has certainly been a trying time and many of us are desperate for a break.
Ever-changing quarantine rules, traffic light systems, the minefield of testing requirements…where do you even start trying to plan a getaway?
In the event that a UK staycation doesn’t cut it for you, we’ve rounded up a few resources for you so that you can start to plan with confidence.
Where can I travel right now?
Austria, Barbados, Croatia, Malta and Gibraltar are popular destinations which are currently on the UK’s Green List – meaning that you don’t need to quarantine when returning to the UK.
However, you still need to take a Covid-19 test before you travel back to England and also pre-book a day 2 test.
It’s worth remembering that each country may have different entry requirements too so be sure to check before you travel.
You can find a full list of up-to-date rules and guidelines at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#green-list-rules
- due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, no travel is risk-free. If UK restrictions allow you to travel, check the COVID-19 travel guidance before you plan to travel at the link above
- if you are travelling to an EU country or Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, check if you need to take any extra actions to meet the current rules
- check travel advice for the entry requirements of the country you are travelling to and make sure you have got all the necessary visas
- check the validity of your passport. For some countries, including all EU countries, your passport must be valid for 6 months after the date you travel
- get appropriate travel insurance and check that it covers all the activities you plan to undertake and all the places you intend to visit. If you plan to visit an Amber List country, most travel insurance policies are void so it’s worth checking the small print.
Top of the hot-spots!
Right now, Brits can’t get enough of Spain’s dreamy Balearic Islands and Majorca is the most hotly searched summer destination at the moment. Almost one in 12 of all searches to beach destinations so far this year were to this Balearic beauty, with sister island Ibiza hot at its heels.
But while both destinations offer effortlessly beautiful beaches, twinkling aqua waters and the promise of endless days of sunshine, they have their own unique charms too.
Majorca’s dreamy, laid-back vibe invites you to curl up, retreat and relax. Find a cove to bask in and catch up on your holiday reading, or immerse yourself in nature at the World Heritage Site of Serra de Tramuntana.
Ibiza, on the other hand, is just starting to emerge from its winter partying hiatus and will soon be welcoming thousands of revellers to its shores as world-famous clubs throw open their doors and iconic DJs step off their private jets.
But Ibiza is far more than just a party island. Atmospheric spots such as gorgeous Ibiza Town beg to be explored, while bohemian corners in the north of the island such as San Juan offer an alternative, quieter island experience.
The Buzzing Balearics are currently on the Amber list – if you’ve had both doses of your vaccine, you don’t need to isolate on your return to the UK. Again, guidelines can change frequently though so be sure to check on the gov.uk website.
If you’re not sure what might be the best destination to suit your needs, call in to either Hays Travel or Polka Dot Travel at Longton Exchange. Both teams are highly knowledgeable and can also help with information regarding testing, documentation and isolation requirements.